IV. Considerations to Date Federal Agencies DOJ/DEA
1. Determine whether the state ballot initiatives may be preempted,
in whole or in part, through a federal lawsuit or through new
2. Outline DEA enforcement strategy and review prosecution
guidelines for U.S. Attorneys’ offices,
3. Provide guidance and support to state and local law enforcement
agencies regarding their officers’ ability to seize federal
contraband and make arrests for violation of federal law.
4. Develop strategy for taking administrative action against
medical practitioners who do not comply with applicable federal
5. Consider whether to send a letter to DEA physician registrants
and/or medical associations regarding physicians’ continuing
obligations under federal law
6. Analyze whether states other than California and Arizona have
similar medical use provisions.